Offical website of Green Innovation and Development Centre (GreenID) is www.en.greenidvietnam.org.vn. GreenID is not responsible for any information from websites with similar name.
Recruit: or national expert to conduct feasibility study under project “Green Solutions for access to energy for the rural poor in Mekong Delta”
For national expert to conduct feasibility study under project “Green Solutions for access to energy for the rural poor in Mekong Delta”
Timeframe: September – November, 2016
Location: An Giang Province, Viet Nam
About GreenID: Green Innovation and Development Centre (GreenID) is a Vietnamese non-profit organization (NPO) recognized by Decision 840/QD-LHH dated 27th December 2011. GreenID works to promote sustainable development in Vietnam and the larger Mekong region and is now on its way to become a leading and credible civil society actor promoting sustainable energy sector development. GreenID recognizes that to promote sustainability it must address constraints related to governance, organizational structures and social and technology integration. GreenID has project-specific experience coupled with cutting edge global knowledge and theory to help integrate sustainable solutions into policy and local communities. Since 2012 so far, GreenID has implemented successfully many projects related to energy sector in Viet Nam at both central and local level. These projects have contributed significant changes in energy system in Viet Nam and the Mekong Delta through promoting the sustainable, decentralized and small scale energy solutions at grass root level as well as active participating in policy development process.
The ground of consultancy: Although Vietnam has made rapid strides in rural electrification, presently, still 2% of the households in the country do not have access to electricity. The households without electricity are mostly located in border areas, in remote areas and on islands. Although Vietnam has announced that it is aiming to provide electricity to the un-electrified areas, it is mostly aiming to do this by expanding the grid. The Vietnam Green Growth Strategy (VGGS) opens up new opportunities for the use of decentralized energy solutions especially for off-grid areas. Access to energy by Renewable energy sources does not only reduce the cost for transmission lines, they make use of locally present resources and can provide other benefits for the citizens in the area, such as increased employment opportunities, improved environmental quality.Local sustainable energy solutions such as biogas, biomass, improved cook stoves, solar-PV panels, LED bulbs, solar lanterns would be able to provide basic energy services to the local people while at the same time providing other benefits such as environmental improvements and low carbon development.
About the location: Tinh Bien is a border district of An Giang province, Viet Nam. The poverty rate of Tinh Bien district in 2014 according to local authorities’ report is 9.9%. Up till now, there are still 2,288 households (equivalent to approximately 10,000 people) living in 29 hamlets of 7 communes of Tinh Bien district in An Giang province do not have grid-access. According to the report of Tinh Bien district People Committee, An Giang province, these households were received annual diesel subsidies from government for their lighting. Their current energy sources come from diesel generators, batteries or candle. 80% of these households are belonging to Khmer ethnic group. The average income of these households lies between 9,6-12 million VND per person per year ($450-580). This is much lower than the district average number which is about $1244. Most of the incomes are derived from agriculture, forestry and labour selling although there is also a small part from trade
Under the financial support from Bread for The World, GreenID and its partners are going to implement three years project covering the period from Jan 2016 to Dec 2018 in Tinh Bien district, An Giang province, Viet Nam. The project title is: “Green Solutions for access to energy for rural poor in Mekong Delta”. The aim of the project is to help the poor and un-electrified households in Tinh Bien district, An Giang province to have better access to alternative power supplies by using affordable decentralized and small scale renewable energy resources. From our experience, investments in sustainable energy lead to many benefits, such as a stronger local economy and a better environment.
Considering the importance of such sustainable energy resources to contribute to the success of the project in providing the appropriate solutions for poor and un-electrified households, GreenID is going to conduct a feasible study onrenewable energy solutions application in Tinh Bien district, An Giang Province to carefully examine which technologies and approaches would work best in the area thus provide property approach to implement the project activities.
2. Work description:
The main objective of this study is:
- To (i) elaborate potentials and challenges of renewable energy in the area
- To (ii) propose adequate technologies, considering capacities in terms of implementation, operation and maintenance
Results from this feasible study will be used as important inputs for our project in the off-grid communities in Tinh Bien district and in the long-run create evidence for our alternative and green energy advocacy purpose in Vietnam and Mekong Delta.
Given the above expected objectives, the international expert will work with national expert and GreenID’s staffs to find the answer for, but not limited to the following questions and concerns:
- What are the main renewable energy resources and its potential that available in the area? (Solar, wind, biomass, biogas and mini-hydroelectricity and energy efficiency use solutions…)
- What are the current renewable energy and energy efficiency practices and technologies applying at the areas?
- How do the people (community members/local businesses/schools/local government) currently access energy services and RE/EE technologies (quantifying current services/energy access, degree of technological maturity and measuring level of access to these technologies)?
- What are the needs of the local people regarding energy and electricity especially the poor and un-electrified households?
- What are the key benefits of renewable energy and energy efficiency use solutions based on the environmental, social and economic aspects? Are there any good practices, success stories regarding the application of RE/EE models in the area and over the World? What are the key lessons learnt?
- What are the main barriers that preventing the local people in applying the RE and EE model at the area?
- What kind of models/technologies would work best for the area? Technologies for electricity generation should be focused. What kind of support in term of financial, technical, operational and maintain mechanism is needed to ensure the long run of the model?
- A dimensioning of the systems based on the results of energy audits
- An economic and financial comparison of the systems covering at least investment-, installation-, reinvestment-, operation and maintenance- cost
- Present value cost over a 10 to 60 years’ operation time.
- Development of an operation and maintenance concept including a training concept for community members.
3. Detail tasks
To conduct the study, one national expert will be the following detail tasks:
- Analyze the relevant government policies and share the result in paper with research team;
- Discuss with international expert and GreenID on the methodology used in the feasibility study;
- Participate in the field trip to collect data and support for international expert.
- Provide the recommendations for the project on technologies, approach, financial, operation and maintenance mechanisms and affordable for households as well to implement renewable energy solutions in Tinh Bien district, An Giang Province
- Give Advocacy advices regarding law making in order to set up a better framework for decentralized solution in off grid areas based on national analysis
- Provide comments for the draft reports of this study
4. Expected outputs:
Based on the objectives of the study, the following deliverables should be produced upon the completion of the study:
- A detailed action plan for the study including the outline, scope, methodology will be made and agreed among GreenID and expert group;
- Several comments for feasible study report;
- A presentation of study results and key findings of rural electrification in Vietnam to share with different stakeholders in An Giang province.
All related expenses is covered by GreenID in the framework of the project named “Green Solutions for access to energy for rural poor in Mekong Delta” with the financial support from BFTW.
|1||Analyze the relevant government policies and share the result in paper with research team||2 days|
|2||Discuss with international expert and GreenID on the methodology used in the feasibility study||0.5 day|
|3||Participate in the field trip to collect data and support for international expert||4.5 days|
|4||Provide the recommendations for the project on technologies, approach, financial, operation and maintenance mechanisms and affordable for households as well to implement renewable energy solutions in Tinh Bien district, An Giang Province||1 days|
|5||Give Advocacy advices regarding law making in order to set up a better framework for decentralized solution in off grid areas based on national analysis||1 day|
|6||Provide comments for the draft reports of this study||1 days|
TERMS OF REFERENCE Job decription for communications officer 1. About GreenID Green Innovation and Development Centre (GreemID) is a Vietnamese non-profit organization (NPO) established under the Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations ...
Since 2012, the GreenID has pioneered an experimental implementation of the Local Energy Planning program (LEP) in 2 communes Nam Cuong and Bac Hai, Tien Hai District, Thai Binh Province. ...
1, General introduction: GreenID is a Vietnamese non-profit organization (NGO) established under the Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Association (VUSTA) and recognized by Decision No. 840/QD-LHH dated 27/12/2011. GreenID works ...
TERMS OF REFERENCE For national expert to conduct feasibility study under project “Green Solutions for access to energy for the rural poor in Mekong Delta” Timeframe: September – November, 2016 Location: An Giang ...